By Linda Denninger
The month of May is a beautiful time of year and one of my personal favorites. Winter is behind us and the beauty of new life is blooming everywhere!
I found some interesting trivia about May I’d like to share with you:
- On May 1, 1931 the Empire State Building was officially opened.
- The United Kingdom celebrates May as National SMILE month (I like that – smiling is always good!)
- May’s birthstone is the emerald, which is emblematic of love and success.
- Despite the birthstone, May was once considered a bad luck month to get married. There is a poem that says “Marry in May and you’ll rue the day”. I’m sure many happily married couples would disagree with that thought!
- In any given year, no month ever begins or ends on the same day of the week as May does.
- The month of May was named for Maia, the Greek goddess of fertility.
This month also has several holidays celebrated all over the world:
- May 1 is May Day (also Labor Day in Mexico)
- May 2 is the National Day of Prayer Holocaust Remembrance Day
- May 5 The First of Ramadan begins at sundown (also Battle of Puebla Day in Mexico)
- May 10th is Mother’s Day in Mexico
- May 12th is Mother’s Day in the US
- May 18th is Armed Forces Day
- May 20th is Victoria Day in Canada
- May 27th is Memorial Day
All of the holiday’s above are worthy of celebration but I have to admit that Mother’s Day is the most special to me. Being a mother has been the single greatest achievement in my life. Life may have dealt some hard blows from time to time, but being their mother has made every struggle, every difficult time worth it and more! I heard a saying once that is so true and on point “Being a Mother is the hardest job you’ll ever love”!
Being a mother means unconditional love for your child. This is a bond like you will have no other human being. You are their protector, their disciplinarian, their teacher, their friend, and their biggest supporter. You provide them with a path in life and help guide them a long their way. Then suddenly they are adults! Roles sometimes reverse and you take a back seat to the new wife/husband and family your child has created. But it is a back seat I so much enjoy! Seeing the adults my children have become and the beautiful families they have made, brings me more joy than anything in my life and makes me very proud. If anything can come close to the joy of being a mother, it is being a grandmother!
If you are looking for the perfect Mother’s Day gift for someone important in your life, please visit DreamProducts.com for an array of Unique Items At Affordable Prices, that any mother would love!
Happy May Everyone!