By Linda Denninger
Summer weather can cause unbearable pain and discomfort for those suffering from arthritis or chronic joint pain. Temperature and humidity can affect the sensory nerves contained in our joints. They can also alter the level of fluid that fills your joints, causing inflammation and pain, and can affect the stiffness or laxity in your tendons, muscles and ligaments.
So what can you do to help? Here are a few tips to help you beat the heat and keep your joint pain to a minimum:
- Stay in air conditioning as much as you can. This regulates both temperature and humidity. Your anti-inflammatory medication will not be nearly as effective in high heat and humidity.
- Drink LOTS of water and fluids that contain electrolytes. Caffeine, alcohol and drinks high in sugar can actually dehydrate you so stick to water and drinks like Gatorade.
- Help your body stay cooler by wearing loose, natural fiber clothing like cotton and linen. This allows your body to breath and helps evaporate sweat to keep your body cooler.
- Swim whenever you can! Not only is it a great way to cool off, but the water buoyancy also helps relieve pressure on your joints. Swimming is low impact cardio exercise so great for people who have difficulty exercising with painful joints.
- Go to DreamProducts.com to find a multitude of items to both help you beat the heat (such as our Kool-Down™ Air Cooler ) and to help you deal with the nagging effects of arthritis (like our Magnetic Anti-Arthritis Therapy Gloves or our Snap Front Comfort Bra).
We hope you have found these tips helpful in managing your arthritis during this hot month. At www.DreamProducts.com we strive to offer our customers Unique Items At Affordable Prices to help in your everyday living! Visit our site and explore the hundreds of items available to you!